My Position on Veterans
“America is the greatest country in the world because of the men and women in uniform who serve in Utah, across the country, and abroad. These heroes exhibit bravery above and beyond the call of duty, and we are forever grateful for their service. In addition to my district office’s constituent services efforts, in Congress, I have championed policies that ensure America’s veterans get the best care and support they deserve.” – Rep. Burgess Owens
- Co-sponsored H.R. 3458, the Reinstate Our Troops Act, legislation to require the Secretaries of the Army, Navy, and Air Force to reinstate, at their previous rank, the soldiers, sailors, Airmen, and Marines who separated from service following President Joe Biden’s vaccine mandate.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1282, the Major Richard Star Act, legislation to rectify an injustice that keeps disabled Veterans from receiving full military benefits.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 472, the Fighting Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Act of 2023, legislation to require the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services within the Department of Justice to report on one or more proposed programs to make treatment or preventative care available to public safety officers and public safety telecommunicators for job-related post-traumatic stress disorder or acute stress disorder.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 41, the VA Same-Day Scheduling Act of 2023, legislation to ensure that when a veteran enrolled in the VA health care system contacts the VA by telephone to schedule an appointment for care at a VA facility the appointment occurs during that phone call.
- Supported H.R 4128, the VALID Act, legislation to help ensure America’s veterans have the tools and resources to access home loans and attain homeownership.
- Supported H.R. 4571, the SERVICE Act, legislation to help veterans access timely care and proper resources.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1453, the Military Spouses Retirement Security Act, legislation to help alleviate the toll active duty can take on Utah’s military families and their retirement security.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1695, the TRICARE Reserve Select Improvement Act, legislation to expand eligibility for the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.
- Co-sponsored H.Res.692, legislation to recognize the dedication and courage of U.S. veterans and veterans’ organizations to evacuate American citizens and our allies from Afghanistan.
- Supported the VIP Act, legislation to provide members of the Armed Forces, veterans, and Gold Star Families free lifetime access to our country’s iconic national parks and public lands.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 7041, the Military Record Service Act, legislation to consolidate military retirement records into one DD-214 form, making it easier to calculate benefits earned.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 2047, legislation to amend title 38, United States Code, to expand eligibility for Post-9/11 Educational Assistance to members of the National Guard who perform certain full-time duty.
To see a full list of legislation sponsored and supported by Congressman Owens, click here.
One of my top priorities is to ensure our veterans continue to have access to high-quality and timely medical care, housing, employment, and education opportunities. Contact my team if you need assistance with:
- The Veterans Affairs Administration
- Compensation, pension, and Life Insurance benefits
- Survivor, burial, and death benefits
- Medical treatment for Veterans and dependents
- Vocational rehabilitation, employment, and educational benefits
- Headstone and memorial marker application
Additional resources are available right now:
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs – For resources and counseling, call 877-WAR-VETS or visit vetcenter.va.gov.
- Women Veteran’s Call Center – For information regarding health care services, VA benefits, and services. Call or text 1-855-829-6636 or visit womenshealth.va.gov.
- VA Mental Health Services Guide – Visit mentalhealth.va.gov for resources. For emergency mental health care, you can also go directly to your local VA medical center 24/7 regardless of your discharge status or enrollment in other VA health care.
- VA Caregiver Support Line – Call 1-855-260-3274 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 5PM ET)