My Position on Immigration and Border Security
“There is a devastating humanitarian, national security, and public health crisis at our southern border that is threatening the safety and security of every American. As your Representative, I am committed to securing our country’s borders.” – Rep. Burgess Owens
- Co-sponsored H.R. 2, the Secure the Border Act, legislation to finish the border wall, end catch and release, increase the number of Border Patrol agents, halt the flow of deadly fentanyl, protect innocent children from human traffickers, and put the safety of the American people first.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 335, the STOP Fentanyl Act, legislation to reduce the threshold for mandatory minimum penalties for fentanyl-related offenses, putting it on par with quantity thresholds for another deadly drug, methamphetamine.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 192, legislation to prohibit individuals who are not citizens of the United States from voting in elections in the District of Columbia.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 5854, the Illegal Immigrant Payoff Prohibition Act, legislation to amend title 28, United States Code, to prohibit payments of compromise settlements arising out of certain violations of the immigration laws.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6122, the Protect American Taxpayer Dollars from Illegal Immigration Act, legislation to prevent the federal government from paying settlements to migrant families detained at the U.S. Southern Border.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1496, Sarah’s Law, legislation to amend the mandatory detention provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act to require the detention of anyone unlawfully present in the United States charged with a crime resulting in the death or serious bodily injury of another person.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6184, the Halt Fentanyl Act, legislation to address the permanent scheduling of fentanyl analogs in the schedule I category as well as grant researchers the ability to conduct studies on these substances.
- Co-signed a letter to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas requesting information on how DHS plans to secure the border in light of lifting Title 42 expulsion authorities.
To see a full list of legislation sponsored and supported by Congressman Owens, click here.