My Position on Economy and Jobs
“I was raised on the idea that anyone who works hard and dreams big can unlock their American Dream and find success. In Utah, you’ll find a high-skilled workforce, diverse industries, and a powerhouse economy. As one of the fastest-growing states in the nation, federal policies must match our unique innovative and entrepreneurial values.
“As the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development, I am focused on fostering the best opportunities for students to learn, workers to succeed, and job creators to thrive.” – Rep. Burgess Owens
- Introduced the EXPORT Act of 2022, legislation to level the playing field for small businesses, entrepreneurs, and innovators to compete internationally.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 3746, the Fiscal Responsibility Act, legislation to slash inflationary spending, lift millions of Americans out of poverty, claw back tens of billions in unspent COVID funds, streamline the energy permitting process, defund Biden’s IRS army, and restore economic sanity to Washington.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 976, the TCJA Permanency Act, legislation to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent certain provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act affecting individuals, families, and small businesses, and for other purposes.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 807, the Working Dog Commemorative Coin Act, legislation to require the Secretary of the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the invaluable service that working dogs provide to society.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 781, the GIG Act, legislation that would amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to clarify the status of an independent contractor.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 572, the Ensuring Workers Get PAID Act of 2023, legislation to ensure America’s workers receive the wages they are owed and help employers comply with the law.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 277, the Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act of 2023, legislation to reassert Congress’ legislative authority and prevent excessive overreach by the executive branch in the federal rulemaking process. It would require every new “major rule” proposed by federal agencies to be approved by both the House and Senate before going into effect.
- Co-sponsored H.Res. 29, the Finding Federal Savings Committee Resolution, legislation to analyze underperforming or nonessential federal programs and recommend actions to modify or eliminate those programs. The resolution also establishes expedited procedures for legislation reported by the committee to eliminate programs or rescind funding.
- Co-sponsored H.R 8655, the Responsible Education Assistance through Loan (REAL) Reforms Act, legislation to detail commonsense and fiscally responsible reforms to America’s federal student loan system.
- Co-sponsored H.R 7151, the Ensuring Sound Guidance (ESG) Act, legislation to protect retail investors’ retirement and investment accounts from asset managers who put environmental and social goals ahead of returns.
- Co-sponsored H.R 6913, the Stop the Nosy Obsession with Online Payments Act of 2022 (SNOOP) Act, legislation to protect American workers from federal snooping on their private financial information.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 7628, the IMPROVE the SBA Act, legislation to revamp the pro-growth policies of the Small Business Administration while ensuring accountability and oversight over its lending practices.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 2974, the Military Spouse Hiring Act, legislation to incentivize employers across the country to hire spouses of members of the United States Armed Forces.
- Sponsored the H.R. 6629, the Informed Lawmaking to Combat Inflation Act, legislation to require lawmakers in Congress to thoroughly consider the inflationary impact of significant bills before voting on the measures.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 4568, the Entrepreneurs Need Timely Replenishment for Eating Establishments (ENTRÉE) Act, legislation to redirect unused COVID-19 relief dollars to Utah’s restaurant owners who have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1284, the Fair and Open Competition Act, legislation to prevent federal agencies and recipients of federal assistance from requiring contractors to sign controversial project labor agreements (PLAs) as a condition of winning a federal or federally assisted construction contract.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1980, the Working Families Flexibility Act, legislation to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide compensatory time for employees in the private sector.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1745, the Developing Responsible Individuals for a Vibrant Economy Act, legislation to implement an apprenticeship program for licensed commercial motor vehicle drivers under the age of 21.
- Supported H.Res. 1015, legislation stating Congressional support for the step-up in tax basis and recognizing the contributions of family-owned farms and businesses.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 5814, the Prohibiting Unrealized Capital Gains Taxation Act, legislation to prohibit the Department of the Treasury or any other federal official from imposing a tax on unrealized capital gains.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1346, the Hospitality and Commerce Job Recovery Act, legislation to extend existing and establish new tax credits that assist the hospitality and restaurant industry.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 4608, the Growth and Opportunities Act of 2021, legislation to permit qualified opportunity zones to be designated every 10 years for economically distressed or low-income areas in which tax incentives are available to promote investment.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 5178, the Truth in Employment Act, legislation to protect both employers and employees by clarifying language in the National Labor Relations Act so that no employer is forced into hiring a ‘salt,’ and can instead use precious time and resources to hire employees who are there to work, especially important in this already difficult hiring environment.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6016, the Fairness for Federal Contractors Act, legislation to ban President Biden from requiring the employees of federal contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6280, legislation to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to exempt certain employees engaged in outdoor recreational outfitting or guiding services from maximum hours requirements.
To see a full list of legislation sponsored and supported by Congressman Owens, click here.