My Position on Law Enforcement
America’s men and women in blue put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. At a time when morale is low, budgets are being cut, and police officers are retiring at extremely high rates, it’s imperative we give these heroes in law enforcement our full support.
In Congress, I have:
- Led H.R. 8458, the Police Radiation Exposure Benefits Act, legislation to extend disability benefits to law enforcement officers who lost their lives or were permanently disabled due to clandestine lab radiation exposure.
- Led H.R. 6375, the COPS on the Beat Grant Program Reauthorization Act, legislation to deliver much-needed support to America’s rural police departments as they recruit, hire, and train new officers to reflect the diversity of the communities they serve.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6544, the EARN IT Act, legislation to revise the federal framework governing the prevention of online sexual exploitation of children.
- Co-Signed a letter to AG Merrick Garland calling for enforcement of the law and immediate action against those intimidating Supreme Court Justices.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 72, the Thin Blue Line Act, legislation to enhance federal punishments for crimes against first responders.
- Opposed H.R. 1280, George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, legislation that would destroy public safety and push good law enforcement officers out of the business.
- Supported H.RES. 766, a resolution to honor law enforcement officers in Utah and across the country who lost their lives to COVID-19.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6480, the Human Trafficking Awareness Training Act, to train law enforcement officers at state and local levels to recognize and fight human trafficking.
- Hosted half a dozen roundtables in Utah’s Fourth District to hear directly from our state’s law enforcement officers.
To see a full list of legislation sponsored and supported by Congressman Owens, click here.