My Position on Law Enforcement
“America’s men and women in blue put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. At a time when morale is low, budgets are being cut, and police officers are retiring at extremely high rates, we must give America’s first responders our full support.” – Rep. Burgess Owens
- Led H.R. 8458, the Police Radiation Exposure Benefits Act, legislation to extend disability benefits to law enforcement officers who lost their lives or were permanently disabled due to clandestine lab radiation exposure.
- Led H.R. 6375, the COPS on the Beat Grant Program Reauthorization Act, legislation to deliver much-needed support to America’s rural police departments as they recruit, hire, and train new officers to reflect the diversity of the communities they serve.
- Supported H.Res. 766, legislation to honor law enforcement officers in Utah and across the country who lost their lives to COVID-19.
- Co-sponsored H.Res. 69, legislation expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the dedication and devotion of law enforcement personnel should be recognized and that calls to “defund”, “disband”, “dismantle”, or “abolish” the police should be condemned.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6544, the EARN IT Act, legislation to revise the federal framework governing the prevention of online sexual exploitation of children.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 72, the Thin Blue Line Act, legislation to enhance federal punishments for crimes against first responders.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 6480, the Human Trafficking Awareness Training Act, legislation to train law enforcement officers at state and local levels to recognize and fight human trafficking.
- Co-sponsored H.Res.363, legislation to designate May 14 to May 20, 2023, as National Police Week and declaring Congress’ unwavering support for law enforcement officers across the United States.
- Co-signed a letter to AG Merrick Garland calling for enforcement of the law and immediate action against those intimidating Supreme Court Justices.
To see a full list of legislation sponsored and supported by Congressman Owens, click here.