My Position on China
“The United States can no longer stand for China’s malign influence, human rights abuses, and dishonest behavior. The Chinese Communist Party has ramped up building nuclear weapons, steals secrets from American companies, and threatens overall global stability. China represents a generational threat, and America must stand up so our adversaries around the world will stand down.
“As your Representative, I’ll keep fighting against the CCP’s human rights abuses and deceptive trade practices that threaten the safety and security of every American.” – Rep. Burgess Owens
- Opposed H.R. 2272, the America CONCEDES Act, legislation that appeases China and hurts America, while spending money we do not have on programs with no relevance to China. Most shocking was the failure to include any meaningful accountability measures in response to the CCP’s long history of genocide, human rights abuses, and slave labor.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 2766, the Uyghur Policy Act, legislation to hold the CCP accountable for its evil actions, rally the global community to ensure religious liberty in China, and support the Uyghur community.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 4821, the Combating the Persecution of Christians in China Act, legislation to hold the Chinese Communist Party accountable for the persecution of religious minorities in China.
- Co-sponsored H.Res. 909, legislation to support an international investigation into the handling by the Government of the People’s Republic of China of COVID-19.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 558, legislation to amend the Defense Production Act of 1960 to prohibit certain foreign countries, like China, from purchasing or leasing American land.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1330, Taiwan Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act of 2023, legislation to authorize the president to lend or lease defense supplies to the Government of Taiwan to protect the civilian population against aggression by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- Co-sponsored H.R 6319, the Falun Gong Act, legislation to authorize President Biden to sanction anyone who has directly or indirectly contributed to forced organ harvesting in China.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 5806, the Exposing China’s Belt and Road Investment Act of 2021, legislation to require the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) to review any investment in the United States by a foreign person that results in China’s direct or indirect control of that business or property; and involves the acquisition of real estate in the United States and the establishment of a U.S. business on such real estate.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 2578, the Paris Transparency and Accountability Act, legislation calling for the Paris Climate Agreement to be renegotiated, or a new agreement reached, that would result in all major emitters, including China, reducing their emissions to levels comparable to the United States.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 1263, the End College CCP Act, legislation to limit Federal funding for institutions of higher education that have partnerships with the Communist Party of China
- Co-sponsored H.R. 5806, the Exposing China’s Belt and Road Investment in America Act of 2021, legislation to require a review of the People’s Republic of China investments in the United States by the Committee on Foreign Investment.
- Co-sponsored H. RES. 90, legislation to support an international investigation into the handling by the Government of the People’s Republic of China of COVID–19.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 4792, the Countering Communist China Act, the counterproposal to Sen. Schumer’s expensive and ineffectual Endless Frontier Act, and the toughest China legislation introduced in the 117th Congress.
- Co-signed a letter to Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin demanding stricter oversight of the federal funding ban on Confucius Institutes at American colleges and universities.
- Co-signed a letter to President Biden calling on his administration to withdraw the United States from the World Health Organization
- Joined the Congressional Taiwan Caucus, the largest Congressional Member Organization in the United States Congress, tasked exclusively with improving American–Taiwanese relations.
- Sent a letter to Natural Resources Committee Ranking Member Bruce Westerman and Subcommittee on Waters, Oceans, and Wildlife Ranking Member Cliff Bentz urging them to oppose any effort to attach extraneous language prohibiting the purchase, sale, or transport of farmed mink to China-related legislation.
To see a full list of legislation sponsored and supported by Congressman Owens, click here.