Owens Votes FOR Aid to Israel
WASHINGTON – Rep. Burgess Owens (UT-04) voted for the Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, a $14.3 billion emergency supplemental appropriations package that provides Israel with resources to defend itself against Iranian-backed Hamas terrorists.
“On October 7, 2023, Hamas terrorists massacred thousands of innocent Israelis, marking the deadliest day in Jewish history since the Holocaust,” said Rep. Owens. “In the wake of these barbaric acts of terror, America must stand shoulder to shoulder with Israel, our strongest ally in the Middle East and a critical partner in peace. From replenishing the Iron Dome and procuring advanced weapons systems to enhancing security presence at the US Embassy, the Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act is fully offset, delivering much-needed support to Israel without burdening American taxpayers. America will continue to support Israel as it defends itself and its civilians from Hamas terrorism.”
The Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act is offset by recisions from the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, specifically Section 10301, which appropriated enhanced funding for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Specifically, the bill:
- Bolsters Israel’s defensive capabilities and stockpiles of munitions critical to its continued efforts by providing:
- $4 billion to replenish Iron Dome and David’s Sling missile defense systems;
- $3.5 billion in Foreign Military Financing for the procurement of advanced weapons systems and defense articles and services;
- $1.2 billion for the continued development of the Iron Beam system to counter short-range threats; and
- $1 billion to support artillery and munitions production.
- Supports US personnel and citizens by providing:
- $4.4 billion to replenish domestic defense stockpiles;
- $150 million for an enhanced security presence at the US Embassy; and
- $50 million for the evacuation of US citizens.
- Requires that the Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State provide written reports to Congress detailing US security assistance provided to Israel to ensure accountability.
The full text of the Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act is available here.