Skip to main content

ALERT: Social distance, stay six feet apart, wear masks, wash your hands often...

Drought and Fire Resources

State of Emergency Due to Drought Conditions

Extreme drought conditions continue to plague the Beehive State. Utah is the fastest-growing state in the nation - and one of the driest. 

With 100% of the state experiencing drought, Gov. Spencer J. Cox issued a third Executive Order due to drought conditions on June 8 restricting water use at state facilities and prohibiting fireworks for all state and unincorporated lands. The Governor declared a state of emergency due to drought on March 17 and issued a second Executive Order on May 3 requiring water conservation at state facilities.

“All indicators show this could be the worst drought year on record,” Gov. Cox said. “Utah state government is leading the way by cutting back on water use at all state facilities, but all of us — from private businesses to local governments to individuals — need to conserve water now more than ever.”

Helpful Resources:

The Utah Division of Water Rights and Water Resources is the water management, conservation, and development authority for Utah. As part of their efforts to mitigate risk and increase helpful resources, the Department is compiling weekly drought and water updates, including information on current drought conditions, water storage, stream flows, and water rights allocations. 

Resources for Utah's farmers, ranchers, and producers: 

With an increased and prolonged threat of wildfire due to excessive drought conditions, please see the following resources and mitigation steps. 

Where do I report a wildfire?

You can always call 911 to report a fire. If you are not sure and would like to file a smoke report, please call your nearest Interagency Fire Center. There are several across the state:

  • Northern Utah 801-495-7600
  • Uintah Basin (Northeast Utah) 435-789-7021
  • Richfield (Central Utah) 435-896-8404
  • Moab (Southeast Utah) 435-259-2123
  • Cedar City (Southwest Utah) 435-865-4611

How can I help rehabilitate areas that have been burned by forest fires?

Each landowner will have rehabilitation plans for their respective areas. Please contact the specific landowner for more information, like the U.S. Forest ServiceBureau of Land ManagementState lands, and Private lands. You may also contact the Division at 801-538-5418.

Where can I find information on active wildfires burning in Utah?

Wildfires are managed by the Division and by our federal counterparts, including the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, U.S. Fish, and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Indian Affairs. All these agencies report wildfire information to a collaborative state fire information website.