Tax Preparation
For information regarding tax relief for victims of natural disaster, please click here.

Getting help with tax preparation:

Preparing your taxes can be a confusing prospect, but no one should think they have to tackle it by themselves. There are a number of completely free services that can connect New York taxpayers with qualified tax preparers who can help them get their taxes filled out and get the biggest refund possible.

To order paper tax forms, call the IRS help line at 800-829-3676.

There are two services to help New Yorkers get help filing their taxes. Both are completely free, have many locations throughout the state, and are staffed by IRS certified tax preparers.
  • The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance is available to New Yorkers making under $51,000 per year. A full list of VITA sites in New York can be found by calling 800-906-9887.
  • The AARP “Tax Aide” program helps low-to-moderate income taxpayers of all ages fill out their taxes.
Problems with the IRS
If you are having trouble with the IRS, my Watertown office may be able to help. Please call us at (315) 782-3150.

You can also contact the Taxpayer Advocate, and independent advocate within the IRS, who works with taxpayers to help them solve their IRS problems.

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are your source for personal tax help when you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone, and you want face-to-face assistance.

If you need to resolve a tax problem, have questions about how the tax law applies to your individual tax return, or you're more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative across the counter. No appointment is necessary - just walk in. If you prefer, you may call a local number to learn about available and alternate services, and to reschedule appointments with IRS personnel. If you have an ongoing, complex tax account problem or a special need, such as a disability, an appointment may be requested. All other issues will be handled without an appointment.

Note: Before visiting your local office click on “Services Provided” in the chart below to see what services are available. Services may vary from site to site. You can get these services on a walk-in, non-advance appointment basis.

How to contact the IRS  
For Individuals: Toll-Free, 800-829-1040. Mon – Fri, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (your local time).

For Businesses: Toll-Free, 800-829-4933. Mon – Fri, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (your local time).

For Exempt Organizations, Retirement Plan Administrators, and Government Entities: 1-877-829-5500. Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Time

For people with hearing impairments: Toll-Free 1-800-829-4059 (TDD). Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (your local time). For further information, see Tax Topic 102.

Frequently Asked Questions
(From IRS.Gov - Clink the link to be redirected)

1.      What are the tax changes for this year?

2.      Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?

3.      How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?

4.      If I claim my daughter as a dependent because she is a full-time college student, can she claim herself as a dependent when she files her return?

5.      Can I receive a tax refund if I am currently making payments under an installment agreement or payment plan for a prior year's federal taxes?

6.      For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?

7.      What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?

8.      What is a split refund?

9.      How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?

10.   I retired last year, and started receiving social security payments. Do I have to pay taxes on my social security benefits?

(Please note, this information is being provided as a courtesy and is not intended to replace tax advice from a licensed professional).